Go ahead and

Read this first...

Unlock Your Digital Potential b y Transforming Ideas into Engaging Content. At Creative Vagabond, we pride ourselves on being your go-to p...

Five Ideas for Incorporating Writing into Your Daily Routine

“I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.”  - Peter De Vries
If you're looking to make writing a more consistent part of your daily routine, here are five ideas to get you started. Don’t try all at once. Test them out for a couple of weeks, a month, a year. Routines take time. I will confess up front that I am not a consistent writer. I write in bursts of creative inspiration, which is different from my writing for work which means deadlines. I am a poet and essayist, with some prose and fiction. I don’t carve out the time to yank the words out and toss them on paper to see what happens. I don’t give myself the deadlines I do for work. However, do what works for you. These ideas are suggestions to kickstart your routine.

Write in the morning. Many writers find that starting their day with a bit of writing can set a productive tone for the rest of the day. Try setting aside dedicated writing time first thing in the morning, before you check your emails or start your other work. My writing time is afternoon and evening. My mornings are for shaking the fuzz from my brain.

Keep a journal for writing ideas. Capture your thoughts, ideas, and observations daily. Try setting aside a few minutes each day to jot down your musings and see where it takes you. I use notes on my iPhone to capture bits of conversation and thoughts. However, I always have a small paper notebook in my pocket. It is a writer’s best friend.

Try writing sprints. If you have a demanding schedule or struggle to find time for writing, incorporate short writing breaks into your day. Set a timer for ten or fifteen minutes and use that time to write something, anything. If you can, set the timer for another fifteen minutes. A string of sprints can add up to lots of creative time.

Write while you commute. If you have a long commute, use the time to get writing done. Bring a notebook or laptop with you and see what you can accomplish during your travel time. If like me, your commute is too bumpy to write, listen to podcasts and watch YouTube videos. You can find serialized stories to listen to. There are lots of people with great advice, if these ideas don’t work you can find more while commuting.

Join a writing group or workshop. I co-ran a writer’s group for ten years. It was one of the best ways I found to keep writing. A good group will offer concrete advice and feedback on your work. Consider joining or creating a writing group for support and accountability. This can be a great way to stay motivated and make writing a more regular part of your life.

I hope these ideas can get you started. Keep writing.

​“I gave in to the great lie that writers are born, not made. That's a huge pile of horse shit. Anyone can write, as long as they put in the time and effort to learn their craft.” ~ Chris Fox​

There are many writing advice books, let me share two to get you started.

Chris is a prolific writer who has an amazing writing routine. Here is one in his series of advice books. They are short, easy reads, that are full of advice. This book is a mere 96 pages full of good tips.

Lifelong Writing Habit: The Secret to Writing Every Day: Write Faster, WriteSmarter by Chris Fox 

Another prolific writer who also has great writing advice. This is his newest book. Gentle Writing Advice: How to Be a WriterWithout Destroying Yourself by Chuck Wendig